App Support iOS - FAQs
I'VE SUBSCRIBED - WHERE ARE MY MAGAZINES?
You can download issues from the ‘Buy‘ screen within the magazine app. Download buttons replace the buy buttons on issues you own.
If this is not the case……
Power off your device by holding down the power button (a hard reset – wait for ’slide to power off message’ and power off). Then turn it back on. Relaunch your magazine app and go to the ‘Help‘ section, and tap ‘Restore Purchases‘. Once that’s done, return to the ‘Buy‘ screen, this should now have synced your available issues.
All subscriptions begin as soon as you’ve made your purchase. Your subscription will give you the latest published issue on Newsstand, plus all new issues released during your active subscription. Please note, back issues released prior to the start of your subscription are not included, or special one-off magazines.
CAN I TRANSFER MY PRINT SUBSCRIPTION OVER TO A DIGITAL ONE, OR VISE VERSA?
This is not possible due to the technical complexities of our print and digital products sold through different vendors.
I AM A PRINT SUBSCRIBER, CAN I GET THE DIGITAL EDITION FOR FREE?
Unfortunately subscriptions are handled differently across all digital platforms by many different third-party providers. At this time we are not able to offer this type of service, however, it is something we are actively exploring and we will post further information when it is available.
HOW DO I DOWNLOAD THE LATEST ISSUE AS PART OF MY SUBSCRIPTION PURCHASED WITHIN ITUNES?
You'll need to download new issues each month as they become available in the App. We will send a message to notify you when new issues are available, providing you have 'Notifications' turned on in your devices 'Settings'.
HOW CAN I CANCEL AUTO-RENEWING OR FIND OUT HOW LONG IS REMAINING ON A SUBSCRIPTION?
At the time of purchase of any subscription on Apple Newsstand, the user is shown a pop-up during the purchase process that expresses that the subscription is automatically set to auto-renew (this message is also reflected on your email receipt). Auto-renewal can be turned off at any time by the user. These settings can be found here on your device:
1) From the home screen, select ‘Settings‘, then ‘ iTunes & App Store‘ (For pre iOS 6 > ‘Store‘).
2) Tap on your ‘Apple ID:‘ on the top of the right-hand panel (you may need to scroll down on iOS 5 and below).
3) Select ‘View Apple ID‘
4) Scroll down to and select ‘Manage‘, under ‘Subscriptions‘.
READING PURCHASED MAGAZINES ON DIFFERENT iOS DEVICES
Like any iTunes purchase, content is linked to the user’s unique Apple ID. Using the same Apple ID it is possible to have your purchases on up to 10 different iOS devices. To migrate your magazine purchases or subscriptions to a new device, log into your device using your Apple ID and password, then install your magazine app. To restore your purchases, load the magazine app and go to the ‘Help‘ section and tap ‘Restore Purchases‘. Once that’s done, go back to the ‘Buy‘ screen. This should now have synced your available issues.
CAN I PRINT PAGES?
The App allows you to print individual pages with an AirPrint printer. Tap on the page you wish to print out. From the overlay menu, press the print icon at the top right of the screen.
CAN I READ MAGAZINES ON A DESKTOP COMPUTER?
This is not possible. Apple Newsstand is only designed for iOS devices. Our magazines can only be read on an iPad device.
HOW DO I DELETE THE APP OR MAGAZINE ISSUES?
You can delete magazine apps from the main Apple Newsstand bookshelf by tap and holding the icon thumbnail until it begins to shake. To delete an individual magazine issue, from within the magazine app, go to the ‘Library‘ and tap ‘Edit‘.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF EMBEDDED DIGITAL VIDEO OR AUDIO CONTENT HAVE NO SOUND?
Check the volume setting is turned on or up. If that doesn’t help, try using headphones. If you can hear sound with headphones, then you just need to adjust a setting on your device which is currently muting audio…. …. From the home screen, Settings > General. Under ‘Use Side Switch to:‘, select ‘Mute‘. Then flip the side switch ‘On‘, then ‘Off‘. Then change the ‘Use Side Switch to:’ back to ‘Lock Rotation‘.
Please follow our general trouble-shooting tips for dealing with any download-related difficulties.
- Make sure you have sufficient storage space on your device;
- Only download one issue at a time;
- Try a different wi-fi connection;
- Do not close the app during downloading as this will halt the download;
- To resume stuck downloads, power-off your device by holding down the power button (a hard reset – wait for ‘slide to power off’ message and power-off). Then turn it back on. Then go to the ‘Help’ section within the magazine app and tap ‘Restore Purchases’. Once that’s done, go back to the ‘Buy’ screen. This should resume your downloads.
WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY DOWNLOAD HAS STOPPED PROCESSING AND APPEARS STUCK?
This is often the result of running low on storage space preventing the process completing on the device. You may need to free up some storage space before attempting to re-download the issue. A hard reset should interrupt the stuck unzipping process, however in some cases you will need to reinstall the App on your device.
In the unlikely event of an application crash you are unable to resolve, we have set out some steps that may help you:
- Kill the app (double tap the Home button on your device, tap and hold on the app until it begins to shake, then tap it again) and restart it.
If that doesn’t help…
- Kill other apps running at the same time using the same method to free up system resources
- Uninstall the app, and re-install it from Newsstand in the iTunes store and restart
- To re-download the issues already purchased, press the ‘Restore Purchases’ button under the ‘Help‘ section of your magazine app and enter your iTunes password. Please note, ‘Restore Purchases’ will begin to the download process of single issue purchases only. Issues through subscriptions are downloaded from the ‘Buy’ screen of the magazine app.
SUPPORT FOR BILLING PROBLEMS
The point of sale process for all Newsstand transactions for individual magazine and subscription purchases is entirely handled by Apple Inc. Because this process is entirely handled by a third-party company it prohibits us facilitating refunds or indeed checking any personal subscription details, and therefore we are unable to directly assist you with these types of enquiries. Please use the links below to obtain the support and help you require directly from Apple.
For more direct support from Apple you should visit: www.apple.com/support/itunes/
For further FAQs and details on how to contact iTunes support, please visit: www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/
|Return to Digital Media|